FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Where is Cyprus Social Sciences University?
It is located in Lefkoşa (Nicosia), Haspolat district. 10 km away from Lefkoşa city center.
- How can I get there?
You can use the transportation services coming from the airport. You need to wait for the departure hours for that. Getting a taxi is more expensive. It might cost 40 TL.
- In which departments are you going to admit students?
The programs that will admit students for the 2017-2018 academic year are as follows: – Law, – Psychology, – Guidance and Psychological Counselling, – Theology, – English Language Teaching, – Turkish Language Teaching, – Arabic Language Teaching.
- What is the language of education at the university?
The language of education is Turkish; English and Arabic are also taught.
- Does CSSU accept students from other countries?
Yes. Individual applications are accepted. If the appropriate criteria can be accomplished, registration will be accepted.
- I am a citizen of the Republic of Turkey. How can I enroll at this university?
It is the same procedure as in Turkey. You need to enter YGS and LYS exams conducted by OSYM, and you need to fill out university preference form. Providing that you win the university, you can enroll at CSSU.
- I am a citizen of T.R.N.C. How can I enroll at this university?
There is no exam required for T.R.N.C. citizens. The only criteria is to have a GPA 7.00 or above, two reference letters from the high school teachers, and a statement of purpose that will be one- one and a half page long. You can apply to the Registrar’s Office with these three documents within the given time period.
- Are there any dormitories at the university?
There is a dormitory for female students at our university. Male students are referred to guesthouses/dormitories nearby.
- How much is the tuition fee?
***The tuition fee for an academic year is 16.000 TL. For students who have 75% scholarship pay 4.000 TL, who have 50% scholarship pay 8.000 TL, and who have 25% scholarship pay 12.000 TL.
- Can I pay the tuition fee by installments?
You can pay it in two installments; one in registration, and the other one before the beginning of the second semester.
- Do you charge extra money, apart from the tuition fee?
There is € 100 for registration and € 100 for activity fee.
- How much do the books cost?
It depends on the department. The cost for books can vary between 250-500 TL per year. The students pay for their books and stationaries on their own.
- I will come from Turkey. How much money do I need to get by excluding the tuition fee?
It depends on the needs of the student. One can get by with 1000 TL including accommodation. If you have 50% scholarship, you can get by with 16000 TL per year.
- Are plane tickets expensive?
If you buy it in advance, the prices are more affordable.
- I will come with my family. Can I rent a house?
For sure. While prices depend on the distance to the city center, an average rental costs around 1000 TL a month.
- Do you have double major or minor programs?
There is an opportunity for our successful students to get a second diploma in a department they choose. In order to do that, our students must not have any disciplinary penalties, and their GPA needs to be 3.0 or higher. For more information, you can look at the guidelines. For doing a minor degree, the students will have the opportunity to get a certificate supporting their main area of study undertaking less work load.
- If I study Theology, can I do a double major in other departments?
The rules and conditions are the same in all of the departments in our university.
- Do we have to pay extra money for double major?
No. It is free of charge.
- Is there a certificate program?
There are various conferences that you can get certificates from throughout the year.
- Do I need to pay for that?
The students attending the certificate programs need to pay a small fee of participation.
- Can the courses that I took in my previous university be substituted here?
You need to apply for the courses that you took in your previous university and successfully completed; it will be analyzed by the regulations and a decision will be made.